As Thanksgiving week approaches, it’s time to bring out the fall decor, finalize your Thanksgiving invites, and start planning your delicious feast! Sacramento also has festive holiday happenings and volunteer opportunities taking place during this season of gratitude and togetherness. That’s why this month’s newsletter is dedicated to all things Thanksgiving – from events and ways that you can give back to your community to holiday decor and classic dishes, we’ve got you covered. Read on for your complete guide to celebrating Thanksgiving in Sacramento!
Are you staying in town this year to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family? Explore local events, happenings, and volunteer opportunities this holiday season!
Local Events & Happenings:
- Now through January 15th (select days): Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink
- Now through January 16th (select days): Historic Folsom Ice Rink
- November 15-24th: Tis the Season: Around the World – B Street Theatre
- November 15-24th: Snow Fever – B Street Theatre
- November 18th: Brahms’s Symphony No. 4 – Sacramento Philharmonic
- November 18th: 62nd Annual Sylvia Besana Parade in Roseville
- November 22nd through December 30th (select days): Theater of Lights at Old Sacramento Waterfront
- November 23rd: Run to Feed the Hungry 10K/5K in Sacramento
- November 24-26th: Crocker Holiday Artisan Market
- November 23rd: Serve Warm Meals to Those in Need with The Salvation Army
- Volunteer at the: Sacramento Food Bank
- Donate to those less fortunate: Loaves of Fishes
- Serve Sacramento Seniors: Volunteer for Meals on Wheels
- Help Animals During the Holiday & Winter Months: Sacramento SPCA or Front Street Animal Shelter
- Share the Gift of Warmth this Holiday Season: Volunteers of America
Are you responsible for preparing this year’s Thanksgiving or “Friendsgiving” feast? Don’t stress… From tender turkey to savory sides with a fun twist, we’re sharing some of our favorite dishes that your guests will be gobbling up at the dinner table this year.
Thanksgiving Apps: Need something to snack on before the main feast? These tasty appetizers will keep your guests hunger at bay and take the pressure off you – and your timer!
- Thanksgiving Turkey Cheeseboard
- Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms
- Thanksgiving Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Spicy Sweet Potato & Cheddar Croquettes
- The Barefoot Contessa’s Rosemary Roasted Cashews
- Pomegranate Cheese Ball
- Green Bean Casserole Bundles
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Turkey Veggie Tray
- Candied Walnut Bruschetta
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Little Smokies
- Whipped Goat Cheese with Warm Candied Bacon & Dates
- Savory Roasted Cranberry Salsa
Delicious Mains: Pull off a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with these classic mains and side dishes that everyone will be thankful for.
Let’s Talk Mains:
- Traditional Roast Turkey
- Air Fryer Turkey
- Herb & Butter Roasted Turkey
- Baked Spiral Ham
- Cranberry Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
- Cider Braised Pot Roast
- Roasted Pumpkin Lasagna
- Alfredo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Tofurky Roast
Pass the Sides:
- Crispy Brown Butter Sage Smashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Candied Bacon Salad
- Spinach, Arugula, Cranberry & Walnut Salad
- Honeycrisp Apple & Feta Salad
- Green Bean Casserole
- Soft Dinner Rolls
- Salted Honey Butter Rolls
- Buttery Herb Stuffing
- Mushroom Croissant Stuffing
- Homemade Turkey Gravy
- White Wine Gravy
- Cranberry Sauce
- Southern Mac & Cheese
- Creamy Brie Mac & Cheese with Buttery Ritz Crackers
- Thanksgiving Roasted Veggies
- Parmesan Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
Festive Libations & Mocktails: From holiday cocktails and punches to delicious mocktails, we have a drink recipe for everyone to enjoy!
- Thanksgiving Cider Punch
- Spiced Honey Bourbon Old Fashioned
- Spicy Pomegranate Ginger Paloma
- Harvest Apple Cider Margarita
- Thanksgiving Pomegranate Punch
- Cranberry Bourbon Cocktail
- Pomegranate Mimosa
- Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Pumpkin Pie Moscow Mule
- Cranberry Lime Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
- Ginger Orange Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
- Thanksgiving Punch Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
Delectable Desserts: Give your guests pumpkin’ to talk about with these decadent Thanksgiving pies and desserts.
- Gooey Pecan Pie Brownies
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Spiced Pretzels
- Molten Chocolate Crackle Pie
- Brown Sugar Maple Cookie Pie
- Vanilla Chai Pumpkin Latte Cupcakes
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Grandma’s Apple Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes
- Ginger Sweet Potato Pie
- Cheesecake Apple Pie
- Skillet Caramel Apple Pie
- Brown Butter Maple Chess Pie
- Pumpkin Brownies
Set the Scene for a Feast: It’s time to break out the good china, polish up that silverware, and find a seasonal centerpiece. Check out our tried-and-true tips for setting up a Thanksgiving table worthy of hosting your holiday recipes, festive libations, and decadent desserts.
- Incorporate Natural Elements: This year, natural is in! You don’t have to spend a fortune to create a beautiful table setting. Bring outdoor elements inside by garnishing your table with leafy stems, fresh produce, structural berry branches for an added pop of color, and basic dinnerware. This creates a natural yet dreamy table-setting vibe. Get the look here.
- Keep It Simple: If you can’t decide what aesthetic route to take, you can always keep it minimal. Think draper candles and a faux garland down the length of the table. If you want the wintery smells though, go for a real garland.
- Take It Outside: Do you want to take advantage of the beautiful weather? Take your Thanksgiving feast outside this year with a table that embraces the outdoors. Think tree-inspired chargers and candle holders. Shop outdoor table decor here.
- Provide Drinkware: Color is in this year! You can easily elevate your table setting by incorporating some colorful water and wine glasses. Shop colored glassware here.
Sending warm, heartfelt wishes from my home to yours this Thanksgiving!