March is in full swing and lucky for us, Sacramento has a lot of Saint Patty’s Day celebrations in store! Read on for a full lineup of local events and activities, plus ways that you can celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day at home. We also take a look at the conflict in Ukraine and how it might affect the U.S. housing market.
Looking for some festive ways to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in Sacramento? Check out our top five picks in and around the city!
- St. Paddy’s Yappy Hour (Thursday, March 17th): Yappy Hour is back! Wear your green-colored attire and join the Sacramento SPCA at Hop Gardens from 4 pm to 7 pm. The best part? You can enjoy great beer, food, and raffle prizes while also supporting animals at the Sacramento SPCA.
- Bottomless Green Beer at University of Beer (Thursday, March 17th): Join University of Beer in Sacramento for $17 bottomless green beer special from 6-10 pm with the purchase of an entree.
- Saint Patrick’s Day Sights and Sips Cocktail Cruise (Thursday, March 17th & Saturday, March 19th): This year step aboard City Cruise’s St. Patrick’s Day Sights & Sips Cruise in Sacramento for an unforgettable day. Open to all ages! Experience a 1.5 hour cocktail cruise on the Sacramento River and cruise the day away with friends and family while soaking in Sacramento’s skyline views. Featuring St. Patrick’s Day décor and live DJ entertainment. Themed cocktails and small bites are available for purchase.
- Old Sacramento Waterfront St. Patrick’s Day Hunt (Now through Thursday, March 17th): If you’re looking for a fun activity for the whole family this St. Patrick’s Day, join the Leprechaun Hunt at the Old Sacramento Waterfront – going on now through Thursday, March 17th. Pick up your activity pages at the Old Sacramento Visitor’s Center or download here to print your own to search for ten Leprechauns hidden throughout the Old Sacramento Waterfront. Each Leprechaun will have a corresponding, secret word that families must fill in on the activity pages to move onto the next hidden Leprechaun. Don’t forget, you’ll need to fill in each clue to solve the secret code at the end. Once complete, email the secret word by March 17th to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win!
- Shamrock Hunt at Hagen Community Park (Saturday, March 19th): Come out for a free family event at Hagen Community Park from 10 am to 12:30 pm. Children can hunt for shamrocks hidden by leprechauns and there will be prizes, activities, and vendors! Learn more here.
Do you plan on celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day in the comfort of your own home? From appetizers and mains to creative cocktails and desserts, we’ve put together a list of fun recipes that will be sure to impress your St. Patty’s Day crew.
Festive Drinks: Get the party started with these festive beers, mixed drinks, and mocktails!
- Green Beer: It wouldn’t be Saint Patrick’s Day without green beer. With just one drop of food coloring, you can make your own. Get the recipe here.
- Irish Coffee: You may not be Irish but your coffee can be…Celebrate the occasion with this Spiked Irish Coffee!
- Lucky Charms Shots: Try out these “magically delicious” shots with Bailey’s Irish Cream and Lucky Charms!
- Shamrock Sour Cocktail: Whiskey sour gets a festive makeover by going green.
- Jameson Jello Shots: Saint Patrick’s Day isn’t complete without jello shots! Have a “shamrockin’” good time with these Jameson Jello Shots.
- Fuzzy Leprechaun: This yummy fruity cocktail is made with peach schnapps, blue Curacao, and vodka. Learn how to make it here.
- Lime Sherbert St. Patty’s Day Punch (Non-Alcoholic): This delicious lime sherbert drink packs a punch! Learn how to make it here.
- Irish Car Bombs: This staple St. Paddy’s Day drink doesn’t need an introduction…End the night with an Irish Car Bomb!
Bring on the Appetizers: Looking for some tasty appetizers to go with that green pint of Guinness? Check out these St. Patty’s Day approved dips, bites, and sliders.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Sliders: This ridiculously easy app is taken to the next level with Guinness mustard. Learn how to make it here.
- Pretzel Dog Beer Cheese Dip: You can’t go wrong with beer, cheese, and pretzels. Click here to make this crowd-pleasing app.
- Irish Potato Nachos: If you haven’t tried Irish Potato Nachos, you’re missing out. What’s not to love about a heaping pile of crisp potatoes slathered in shredded cheese and topped off with crunchy bacon and fresh chives? Get the recipe here.
- Bacon-Wrapped Cabbage Wedges: When in doubt, add bacon. The best part? These bacon-wrapped cabbage wedges get bonus points for being low carb. Learn how to make them here.
- Irish Pub Cheese Recipe: This creamy cheese pairs well with pretzels, pita chips, or sliced veggies.
- Saint Paddy’s Dill Dip: Serve this delicious dip with raw vegetables or crackers of your choice.
- Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders: Doctor up your favorite BBQ sauce for St. Paddy’s Day by adding onions, jalapeños, and Irish whiskey. It’s the best way to serve these mini sliders.
- St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Veggie Platter: Impress even your pickiest Leprechauns with this Rainbow Veggie platter!
Mains: These Irish-inspired dishes will take your Saint Patrick’s Day celebration to the next level.
- Soda Bread: Can someone pass the bread? Learn how to make this quintessential Irish side here.
- Corned Beef in Beer (Crockpot): Let your crockpot do the work by trying out this tasty Corned Beef in Beer recipe.
- Irish Cabbage and Bacon: There’s nothing boring about this cabbage dish, which is loaded with bacon, onions, chicken broth, and mustard seeds.
- Irish Pan Haggerty Potatoes: This classic Irish potato dish is loaded with sliced potatoes, bacon, onions, and of course, cheese. Check out the recipe here.
- Irish Stew: This traditional comfort dish features tender lamb, hearty carrots, and lots of potatoes.
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie: A Saint Patrick’s Day meal is not complete without a heaping serving of Irish Shepherd’s Pie. Get the recipe here.
- Irish Pub Salad: You can’t forget your greens! Incorporate this Irish Pub salad into your menu. It’s loaded with eggs, cheese and topped with tarragon dressing.
Desserts: Don’t forget the dessert! Consider making one of these holiday-inspired treats.
- Pot O’ Gold Cups: These little brownies prove that you don’t have to go to the end of the rainbow to find the perfect St. Paddy’s Day dessert.
- Lucky Charm Eclaires: This nostalgic treat is not only adorable with the Lucky Charm garnishes but it’s also delicious. Get the complete recipe here.
- Green Velvet Pops: Forget red velvet — green velvet will be your new favorite rich (and holiday-appropriate) cake pop flavor.
- Irish Chocolate Pots de Creme: Not only is this dessert gorgeous but you can also make it ahead of time in just minutes! Add two tablespoons of Baileys for that Irish touch. Check out the recipe here.
- Shamrock Shake Cupcakes: This minty cake topped with fluffy whip cream mousse is what dreams are made of! Get the full recipe here.
Wondering how the conflict in Ukraine may affect the U.S. housing market? According to Housing Wire, it may lead to lower mortgage rates in the short term. “While mortgage rates trended upward in 2022, one unintended side effect of global uncertainty is that it often results in downward pressure on mortgage rates,” said Odeta Kushi, deputy chief economist of title insurance firm First American. “The 10-year Treasury yield is down today, likely in response to the worsening Russia-Ukraine conflict, and mortgage rates may follow suit.” Read the full article here.